Kirchen

 


St. Severin

 

St. Severin

St. Severin

The predecessor church construction of St. Severin's was built on the Roman burial site along the street to the military camp in Bonn. The relics of St. Severin found their resting place in the basilica, which was built on the site of the small church in the 9th century. The basilica therefore took on the name St. Severin's.

St. Severin
Address: GoogleMapsIm Ferkulum 29
50678 Cologne
Phone: 0221/931842-0
Fax: 0221/931842-34
E-Mail: info@sankt-severin.de
Opening hours: Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Sat. 9 a.m. - 5.30 p.m.
Sun. 9 a.m. - 12 p.m., 3 p.m. - 5.30 p.m.
Remarks: groups please make an appointment
Milestones
4th century First mention of a small church on the site
9th century A large basilica was constructed on the site of the small church
948 Consecration of the basilica by Archbishop Bruno
11th century New construction of a church
13th century Changes such as vaulting of the chancel were undertaken
1526 Completion of the West tower

Several interesting furnishings are to be found inside today's church. Particularly worth seeing is the flooring dating from 12th century, with geometrical black and yellow marble patterns. Also worth seeing is Cologne's oldest chancel seating with 62 places, and carving dating back to the 13th century, a three-span crypt from the 11th to the 13th century, the late Gothic West tower, the nave dating from 1479 and of course the confessio with the tomb of St. Severin and panel paintings by the master of St. Severin from 1500.

Other interesting pieces from St. Severin's, such as finds from the graves of a wealthy woman, and a bard are today to be found in the Roman-Germanic Museum.




Sales Guide:
Sightseeing Map

Download

Sales Guide:
Guided Tours & Programmes

Download

DE EN