Kirchen

 


St. Pantaleon

St. Pantaleon

The former Benedictine church is one of the oldest in Cologne. It was built on a Roman »villa surburbana«, the remnants of which can still be seen today in the church's crypt. The former Benedictine monastery church is a foundation of the Imperial House of Saxony from the 10th century.

St. Pantaleon
Address: GoogleMapsAm Pantaleonsberg 2
50676 Cologne
Phone: 0221/316655
Fax: 0221/319130
E-Mail: pfarrbuero@netcologne.de
Opening hours: Mon. - Sun. 8.15 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Remarks: groups please make an appointment
Milestones
866 First ever mention of a church on this site, which carried the name of the Greek martyr, Pantaleon
955 Archbishop Bruno founded a Benedictine monastery on this site
980 The new church building was consecrated
12th century The nave, originally designed as a hall, was extended into a basilica through cross-vaulted side aisles

The west façade makes St. Pantaleon's special; it is considered one of the most outstanding creations of Ottonian ecclesiastical architecture. Worth seeing is the church's treasure chamber where the visitor can marvel at, among other things, pieces of Romanesque sculpture adornments from around 1000, as well as at the »Maurinus« and »Albinius« shrines dating from 1170 and 1886 respectively.

Also worth visiting are the late-Gothic rood screen from the 16th century, the branch crucifix from the 14th century, Romanesque reliquaries and the grave of Theophanu.




Sales Guide:
Sightseeing Map

Download

Sales Guide:
Guided Tours & Programmes

Download

DE EN