Kirchen

 


St. Georg

St. Georg

St. Georg is the only remaining pillared basilica in the Rhineland. Its cube-like west chancel constructed from trachyte square stones provides the exterior of the church with a fortification-like appearance.

St. Georg
Address: GoogleMapsGeorgsplatz 17
50676 Cologne
Phone: 0221/210801
Fax: 0221/9232812
Opening hours: Mon. - Sun. 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Remarks: groups please make an appointment
Milestones
1059 The archbishop laid the foundations for the church of a newly set up foundation of canons
1067 The church was consecrated by Archbishop Anno
Middle of the 12th century The pillared basilica was vaulted and fitted with pillars

A Romanesque font dating back to 1240, and a forked crucifix from the 14th century are to be found in the West chancel. The central east apse is home to a copy of the famous Romanesque Georg crucifix from 1067, and a triptych dating back to 1558.

Other sights include the windows decorated with figures and ornaments from 1930 by Jan Thorn-Prikker and the treasury in the Northern choir chapel.




Sales Guide:
Sightseeing Map

Download

Sales Guide:
Guided Tours & Programmes

Download

DE EN