St. Maria

St. Maria in der Kupfergasse

The architecture of »St. Maria in der Kupfergasse« is Dutch Baroque, the architectural style which the Carmelite nuns brought from their Dutch homeland, s'Hertogenbosch.

St. Maria in der Kupfergasse
Address: GoogleMapsSchwalbengasse 1
50667 Cologne
Phone: 0221/2576237
Fax: 0221/2585295
Opening hours: Mon. - Fri.  9:15 a.m. - 12:15 a.m., 2:45 p.m. - 5:45 p.m.
1630 The Carmelite nuns driven out by the Calvinists move to Cologne
1635 Acquisition of the »Neuenahrer Hof« around today's church
1660 Approval is granted for more major construction work
1675 Consecration of the chapel to which the miracle-working image of St. Mary of the Carmelites is transferred
1705-15 The church is built
1802 Following the secularisation, the convent church which, up to then, had been consecrated in the name of St. Joseph, becomes a parish church and consecrated in the name of St. Mary

The statue of the Black Mother of God plays an important role in the religion of the people of Cologne. During a medieval procession, it is alleged that the figure was carried through Cologne to ward off the Plague, and thereby turned itself black.

Although much has only been built simply following the destruction during the War, the basic impression of the brick building has remained.

Sales Guide:
Sightseeing Map


Sales Guide:
Guided Tours & Programmes