Museum for Applied Art

The »Museum of Applied Art« displays everyday utensils from the middle ages to the present day.The objects are partially presented in a contemporary environment, and thus convey a living image of the respective period to the observer. The museum shows one of the most important German collections of European applied art from the Middle-Ages to the present-day and a collection of design from 1900 onwards. The exhibits on show stand out both through artistic design, as well as through perfect processing. Thus, the functionality of the object is pushed into the background to the advantage of art.

Museum for Applied Art
Address: GoogleMapsAn der Rechtschule
50667 Cologne
Phone: 0221/221-26714 or -26735
Fax: 0221/221-23885
Opening hours: Tue. - Sun.11.00 a.m. - 5.00 p.m.
Prices: € 6,50 / € 3,50
Remarks: Special exhibitions: possible change in opening times and prices
1888 Foundation on the initiative of the citizens of Cologne
1900 Move to the Neo-Gothic museum building on Hansaring
1961-1986 Exhibitions in the Romanesque Overstolzenhaus
1987 Change of name of the »Commercial Art Museum« to the »Museum of Applied Art«
1989 Move to the building »An der Rechtschule« in the heart of Cologne

Furniture and tapestries, objects used in dining and banqueting, utensils and textiles designed to the highest standard, small sculptures, luxury objects and objects of ornamentation tell the story of interiors furnished with a high regard to quality. Major works are tapestries from Basel, a Venetian wedding goblet from the 15th century, a Renaissance Nuremberg cabinet, Baroque Gobelins from Brussels and Beauvais, two life-sized animal figures in Meissen porcelain, furniture by Abraham and David Roentgen, sets of jewellery from the 19th century by Falize and Castellani, a silver service by Henry van de Velde and the Suprematist set of writing implements by N. Sujetin. The museum presents and discusses artists and developments in all aspects of applied art including the fields of architecture and fashion, photography and film in frequently changing exhibitions.

The Museum of Applied Art in Cologne was founded in 1888 at the instigation of citizens of Cologne and was supported by the Kölnischer Kunstgewerbe-Verein (Cologne society of arts and crafts). The historic core of the collection includes the collections of Ferdinand Franz Wallraf and Matthias Joseph de Noel and later was expanded by gifts mainly from the citizens of Cologne. The neo-gothic museum building on the Hansaring in the city centre which was opened in 1900, was destroyed in the war. The collection which was stored for four decades in the Romanesque Overstolzenhaus and of which only individual aspects could be shown, has been exhibited since 1989 and presented according to an innovative concept in the museum building An der Rechtschule, originally built for the Wallraf-Richartz-Museum.

Sales Guide:
Sightseeing Map


Sales Guide:
Guided Tours & Programmes