Kirchen

 


St. Andreas

St. Andreas

The exterior of the Dominican Church of St. Andreas is characterised by the interesting contrast of Rhenish late Romanesque and French High Gothic styles.

St. Andreas
Address: GoogleMapsKomödienstr. 8
50667 Cologne
Phone: 0221/16066-0
Fax: 0221/16066-18
Opening hours: Mon. - Fri. 8.30 a.m. - 6.30 p.m.
Remarks: groups please make an appointment
Milestones
1200 St. Andreas was built on the site of a 10th century monastery church
14th - 16th century In several stages, chapels were added to the side aisles
1414 The original chancel was replaced by a Gothic one, and thereby the crypt was blocked off; it was rediscovered in 1953
after 1945 Due to the fact that St. Andreas was not badly damaged during the Second World War, it temporarily served as a replacement for Cologne Cathedral, which only reopened in 1948

The church combines a Romanesque nave from 1220 with a Gothic choir from 1414.

It includes some interesting pieces, for example, a Roman sarcophagus, in which the medieval university scholar, Albertus Magnus, is buried, or the so-called »Blutbrunnen« (blood well) of St. Ursula, over which the saint's blood, and that of her female companions is alleged to have flowed when they were martyred. Also worth seeing are the remnants of medieval wall murals in the chapel to the right before the transept, and the altarpiece of the Rosary Society painted by the master of St. Severin around 1500.




Sales Guide:
Sightseeing Map

Download

Sales Guide:
Guided Tours & Programmes

Download

 


DE EN