St. Kunibert

St. Kunibert's, the youngest and stylistically the most uniform of Cologne's Romanesque churches, consecrated in 1247, lies on the banks of the Rhine between the Hohenzollernbrücke and the Zoobrücke.

St. Kunibert
Address: GoogleMapsKunibertsklostergasse 2
50668 Cologne
Phone: 0221/121214
Fax: 0221/125508
Opening hours: Mon.-Sat. 10 a.m. - 1 p.m., 3 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Sun. 8.30 a.m. - 12 p.m., 3 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Remarks: groups please make an appointment
663 Kunibert, the Bishop of Cologne, selected the church's previous building as a burial place
1215 Today's church is constructed on the site of the previous church
1247 The church was consecrated while still incomplete
1993 Completion of reconstruction of the West Tower, and thus a final point in the reconstruction of Cologne's churches destroyed during the war was set

Of particular interest are the medieval stained glass chancel windows. They depict the family line of Jesus Christ with scenes from the Old and New Testaments. Also worth seeing are the remnants of medieval mural paintings in the southern east transept and the stone annunciation group from the 15th century.

In medieval popular belief, a major role was played by the so-called »Kunibertspütz«. The water from this pre-Christian well is alleged to increase women's fertility. Today, a grid-like slate slab covers the well in the chancel.

Sales Guide:
Sightseeing Map


Sales Guide:
Guided Tours & Programmes