Neuzeit

 


Bastei

 

Bastei2

Bastei

The »Bastei« is a former gourmet restaurant built by architect Wilhelm Riphahn in 1923/24. It is a widely projecting, round building with a pointed, tented roof in the centre. In front of the actual guest room, there is a terrace which goes around with a fan-shaped flat roof with a glass balustrade. In the background, there is the silhouette of the left-hand bank of the Rhine. Although the Cathedral is covered, the Hohenzollernbrücke and the tower of Groß St. Martin are clearly visible.

Bastei
Address: GoogleMapsKonrad-Adenauer-Ufer 80
50668 Cologne
Phone: 0221/821-2121
Fax: 0221/821-3430
E-Mail: info@koelnkongress.de

The present building, formerly part of the Cologne fortifications from the Middle Ages, overhangs a curve of the river Rhine. This corner tower protruding from the original river bank wall, was a strategic location well into the 20th century as a bastion and lookout plateau to ward off the enemy coming from the Rhine.

From 1921, the Cologne architect Wilhelm Riphahn had the idea to establish a restaurant. In 1924 the old facility was ceremonially opened intended as a Rhine restaurant, which was considered to be the »most elegant restaurant« of the Rhineland.

The restaurant closed at the start of World War II, and in 1943 bombs destroyed the building. Reconstruction by Riphahn himself took place during the 1950’s according to his original plans; the restaurant was reopened in 1958 in the presence of the Lord Mayor Theo Burauen. Today the Bastei is used by KölnKongress for conventions and special events.




Sales Guide:
Sightseeing Map

Download

Sales Guide:
Guided Tours & Programmes

Download
DE EN